PIKE ROAD SCHOOLS’ PLEDGE TO PARENTS AND COMMUNITY
a school system, WE PLEDGE to accomplish our mission of creating a
culture of intellectual curiosity where all students have ownership over
their learning and are inspired to think, innovate, and create.
We PLEDGE to support our students as learners by
- Fostering a safe and nurturing learning environment.
- Being responsive to students’ needs as learners to enable each student to reach his/her full potential.
- Empowering teachers as designers, facilitators, navigators, mentors, encouragers, and leaders who guide, instruct, and support students in their learning.
- Engaging students in their learning by creating experiences by in which students are solving real problems for a real audience.
- Empowering students to be researchers, curators, content creators, and publishers.
- Piquing students’ curiosity about how things work and encouraging them to ask questions, observe, investigate, take things apart, build, and create.
- Structuring learning in a way that allows students to have more ownership over their learning.
- Creating learning experiences that cause students to retain what they learn and be able to apply their learning to new situations.
- Using technology resources to supplement, enhance, and accelerate students’ learning.
- Empowering students to conduct in-depth research on topics of interest to them and to become the resident experts on their area of interest.
- Assessing students’ knowledge and skills to devise each student’s learning path and reassess as needed to ensure students are continuously learning and making significant academic gains.
- Flexibly grouping students to work on specific content objectives/skills based on their learning needs.
- Supporting each student on his/her level with an emphasis on moving the student to the next level.
- Allowing student learning to determine how we use time and resources.
We PLEDGE to communicate and partner with parents and the community by
- Valuing parents as our partners and members of the school community.
- Communicating and collaborating with parents about your child’s learning, events, and opportunities.
- Providing parents ongoing access to their child’s progress as a learner and working together to monitor and discuss students’ progress.
- Enlisting community support and volunteers to share their time, hobby, and/or allow our students to come into their place of business for shadowing, apprenticeships, and opportunities for solving real problems.
- Collaborate with colleges and universities to provide online and onsite college courses to enable our high schools to earn college credit hours prior to graduating from high school.
PIKE ROAD SCHOOLS’ PARENT/GUARDIAN PLEDGE
As a parent/guardian, I PLEDGE to be a valuable partner and member of the school community.
I PLEDGE to support my child as a learner by
- Helping my child discover the joy of learning, thinking, innovating, and creating.
- Spending time talking and listening to my child everyday about his/her learning - - asking questions such as “What did you work on? What did you learn? What are you doing next? What are you curious about?
- Helping my child take more responsibility and assume ownership over his/her learning.
- Asking questions, having conversations, and modeling my curiosity about the topics being discussed/studied by my child.
- Learning with my child.
- Talking with my child about my learning - - things I find interesting, things that challenge me, things I want to learn more about, things I have recently learned, etc.
- Encouraging my child to learn continuously.
- Encouraging my child to stretch himself/herself and attempt challenging work.
- Helping my child learn from failure and teach my child that failure is a valuable part of the learning process.
- Modeling and encouraging resiliency.
- Encouraging reading. I will read to my child, and I will listen as my child reads to me.
- Helping my child develop self-confidence and self-discipline.
- Encouraging my child to have positive and respectful relationships with teachers, students, and other staff.
- Discussing and modeling qualities like honesty, hard work, respect, and integrity.
- Affirming my child’s respectful attitude, responsible behavior, and quality work.
I PLEDGE to communicate and partner with the school by
- Talking with my child's teacher about how my child is doing in school.
- Partnering with my child’s teacher(s) by sharing relevant information about my child and participating in parent conferences.
- Partnering with my child’s school by participating in and volunteering at school events.
- Reading all correspondence from my child’s teacher and the school.
- Responding as needed to correspondence from my child’s teacher and the school.
- Checking my child’s learning progress on a regular (weekly) basis.
- Ensuring that my child is at school on time each school day.
- Making sure my child gets healthy meals, enough sleep, and good exercise every day.
- Setting a regular time and place for school work that is free of distractions.
- Supporting the role of teacher as designer, facilitator, navigator, mentor, encourager, and leader.
PIKE ROAD SCHOOLS’ STUDENT PLEDGE
As a student, I PLEDGE to be assume ownership over my learning and use my knowledge, skills, and influence to make my school system, my community, and the world a better place.
I PLEDGE to take ownership of my learning by
- Being enthusiastic about the joy of learning, thinking, innovating, and creating.
- Spending time talking and listening to my parents, teachers, experts, and classmates everyday about my learning - - discussing with them what I am working on, what I am learning, and what I am curious about.
- Taking more responsibility and assume ownership over my learning.
- Being a continuous learner.
- Stretching myself and attempt challenging work.
- Giving my best effort in all circumstances and celebrating quality work.
- Learning from failure and view failure is a valuable part of the learning process.
- Being resilient.
- Reading often and talking about my reading with others.
- Developing self-confidence and self-discipline.
- Eating healthy meals, getting enough sleep and exercise every day.
- Seeking assistance or advice from parents and teachers when I am confused or need support.
- Being on time and prepared for learning each school day.
- I PLEDGE to use my knowledge, skills, and influence to make my school system, my community, and the world a better place by
- Being a positive influence and a good friend to all my fellow Patriots.
- Being an active researcher, curator, content creator, and publisher.
- Talking with others about my learning - - things I find interesting, things that challenge me, things I want to learn more about, things I have recently learned, etc.
- Asking questions, having conversations, and modeling my curiosity about the topics being discussed/studied.
- Learning with my parents, teachers, classmates, experts, etc.
- Having positive and respectful relationships with teachers, students, and other staff.
- Thinking about and pursuing ways I can have a positive impact on others.
- Being honest, working hard, respecting others, and having integrity.
- Following through on assignments and other obligations for the benefit of myself and others.
- Using tools and resources wisely and for good purposes.